07 June 2011

Playing House (with Real Money)

Number one overlooked fact of moving out of the nest: momma eagle does not move with you. Before you start cheering chants of "sweet freedom" and "alone at last," let it sink in for a moment that you are on your own.
For the last twenty (or thirty) years, mom has been bringing home worms, tidying the nest, and paying rent on the treehouse. Now, those responsibilities are yours. Me personally, I like to play house. Even cleaning can be fun with the right playlist. But the difference is that when I play house,  all the nice pretend store people give me everything for free. Now, instead of mom paying me extra allowance to clean the house, I have to pay to get the supplies to clean the house myself (Life lesson #73 of growing up: being alive costs you money, and the price goes up as you get older. Deal with it). Then my adult brother, who has already passed his wing test and lives in Atlanta, introduced me to CouponMom.
CouponMom is like the tooth fairy for grown-ups.
http://www.couponmom.com/
She tells you when to take your coupon clipping confetti to the store and get such a good deal that the cashier ends by shaking his head and giving you money. I am not a coupon master yet (my brother promised to tutor me on advanced coupon tactics like doubling and matching), but today I got a dollar off my Swiffer starter kit and seventy-five cents off an eighty-four cent scrubby pad. I still had to pay to do my own cleaning...but paying less made me feel better about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment